Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Dad's Dollhouse: An Update

Since I last wrote about the miniature dollhouse my dad built for me when I was a girl, I've been inspired to complete some work on it. I always had grand plans for my dollhouse--plans that my pocketbook could never accommodate! The height of my interest in the dollhouse (until now!) was probably from age 8 to age 16, and I never had enough money to do what I wanted with it. I still don't! :-)

Now, however, I can see the project from an adult's perspective, and I really want to finish some of the things I started on it.

My previous photos showed the dollhouse empty. Since then, I gave it a thorough cleaning and set up my existing miniature furniture and accessories. Plus, I got some birthday money, and just like when I was a kid, I put it all toward the dollhouse. Yesterday I put in a big order to complete some of my empty spaces. I can hardly wait to receive my package!

Here are some current photos showing where my dollhouse is today:


Here's my miniature Victorian country kitchen (with a few extras). The lamp and T.V., which I picked up at a flea market and the Goodwill bins respectively, are not of the era. I think I've decided that with this dollhouse, since it is a family heirloom and not a true-to-scale "masterpiece," I'll be flexible on what goes in it. :-) By the way, I got the china cabinet pictured above at the Goodwill bins recently too.

I've always wanted to complete the kitchen with a country kitchen ice box, so that is one of the things I've ordered for the house. I think it will go in the corner next to the china cabinet. There are also dishes, potholders, and more coming--yay!


Here's my little Victorian livingroom, set up for Christmas. Like the kitchen, it is wallpapered with real wallpaper from my childhood family home. The wallpaper is not to scale, but it means a lot to me. I want to put a fireplace where the couch is now, and I want to add a front door (I have the hinges!) and curtains (I want to put curtains in all rooms with windows). I also want to change the carpet to something that is more to scale (this pile is at least 1/2 inch thick, so it looks like a raised livingroom!).


Here's the master bedroom, with wallpaper from my parents' bedroom. Oh, the "lovely" wedgewood blue and mauve of the late 1970s to early 1980s! I plan to change the carpet and put a quilt on the master bed, which I happened to find at the Goodwill bins recently. For those who don't know, you pay by weight at the bins. That bed probably cost me all of 50 cents! Not bad--miniatures on the cheap!


OK, here's my miniature Victorian bathroom. I recently purchased the rubber ducky at a flea market. I want to get some faux tile in this room, wallpaper, different towels, and of course, curtains. The fan on the windowsill was given to me by my grandmother, and it is probably from the 1940s.


Here's the child's bedroom, full of toys. I will change the carpet, fix up the bedding, add a toybox, and add more toys. Probably wallpaper it too!


This was always going to be the dollhouse attic. As a child, my plan for this room was to get a big old trunk and fill it with stuff. Slightly scary and fun at the same time! Now I plan to turn it into a sewing room, which is appropriate considering that the wallpaper in the room is from my grandmother's house. You see, Grandma was the one who taught me how to sew. And she gave me my first sewing machine, a 1965 Singer, which is still going strong.

I'm going to really have some fun with this room! The scissors are already there, as is the pot-bellied stove (an antique metal salt shaker my mom gave me). I plan on a basket with balls of yarn and knitting needles, lots of sewing notions, and an antique-style sewing machine (the latter is coming in my order!). 

Miniatures are turning out to be fun all over again! And while I'm finishing long-uncompleted projects in my dollhouse, I can use the same items in upcoming vignettes with my plushy critters! Double fun! Until next time.... xoxo Jennifer

19 comments:

  1. This is so gorgeous. I find myself re living my childhood dreams in there.
    Good on you. Keep enjoying the house.
    Chrisartist

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun Jennifer! It is fun to bring a sweet childhood project to completion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl! just came to give you A HUGE HUG.... for being so nice to me!!!! :) thanks from the bottom of my heart! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, chrisartist! Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi tomgirlstuff, it is great to hear from you! Thanks for leaving a comment--I love them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cara Carmina, it is great to hear from you! Thanks for stopping by for a little visit! Here's a big hug back to you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I always wanted a doll house as a kid. It is so beautiful and even more that you still keep it and improve it! It is so nicee :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi The Sun and the Turtle! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! You're very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed this tour! What a fabulous endeavor you have! Looking forward to the next installment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jeni, thanks for your nice comment! Yes, I am looking forward to receiving my new miniatures in the mail and setting everything up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is sooo great that you are going to pick up this project!! :)
    It is amazing that you still have that dollhouse, the one my father build for me when I was a kid is no longer in our family... unfortunately :(
    I wish you so much fun with all the things you are planning to do on your house, I can't wait to see how it will progress ;)

    Hugs Jollie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jollie, thanks for stopping in! I always love hearing from you! Yes, I am excited about working on the many projects that are coming up, and I will show the progress along the way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG!!! Its sooo cute I could cry, seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a wonderful treasure to have, it must be indeed a labour of love to restore/renovate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Catherine and Norma--thanks for leaving such sweet comments! Yes, it feels like a treasure and is a labor of love--so true! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. And I forgot to mention that I'll definately be popping by to keep an eye on progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great, Norma! I'll keep the updates coming! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. How wonderful you still have the special dollhouse your dad made for you!!! My Mom made one for me when I was young. It was round, like a pie, and revolved on a Lazy Susan. All the rooms were on the same level (Almost like wedge shape pieces of the pie)and they were all open me so I could arrange things easily.In the middle of this pie was an open Spanish patio. The dollhouse roof sloped towards the patio. I still remember it but, unlike you, no longer have it...sigh..OH WHAT I WOULD GIVE!!!! But I shall get great Pleasure in watching YOUR dollhouse grow!!! Marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi April! It's so great to hear from you! I have regrets like that--things that I got rid of or lost that I wish I still had today. At least you've got an amazing memory of a wonderful dollhouse made by your mom that you can treasure always! Thanks for leaving such a lovely comment and for becoming a friend of my blog. I look forward to hearing from you again! I've been doing a lot on Dad's dollhouse, so there should be more updates soon!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I LOVE comments! And I read every one of them. :-)