Monday, December 5, 2011

Where Have All the Dollhouses Gone?

I've gotten rid of some of my dollhouses. Bought with hopes for future fun, several of them looked different once I came out of my buyer's fog. ;-) I'd mentioned in a previous post that I was having second thoughts about the first house I bought, the one I called My 1970s Dollhouse:


It was made of old particle board, was heavy, and wasn't to scale. It was more of a child's dollhouse and needed redecorating. I decided to donate it to a charitable organization, along with this one:


It was also a child's play dollhouse. I found it in pieces at a thrift store for $5. Once I got it home, I realized it wasn't the antique dollhouse I had imagined, so I cleaned it and put it together, and took a couple of photos of it in the back of my truck before I hauled it away for donation along with the 1970s dollhouse.

The third dollhouse I want to mention is the one that also was a 1970s dollhouse, but I called it My Shabby Chic Cottage. Again, I had high hopes for this one. It had "good bones." It was a to-scale dollhouse miniature collector's house with siding, hardwood floors, and a beautiful staircase. The problems for me were that it was heavy, it took up a lot of space, and it needed a lot of work (mostly wallpaper removal). I also didn't care for the fact that the rooms were really deep from front to back of the house.


Finally, after hemming and hawing about what to do with it, I decided to sell it. I sold it last weekend to a mom who wanted to work on it with her daughter. I sold it for what I paid for it, but I kept all the furniture and family (also kept all of that from the 1970s dollhouse too!). So, I feel I've come out ahead. The furniture and families are worth more than what I spent on all of the houses, and I know I'll use more of the furniture (besides what I've already used in Dad's Dollhouse) in future projects.

Now I have two dollhouses left. There's Dad's Dollhouse (did you notice the new link at the top of my blog that takes you to a page with ALL of the Dad's Dollhouse posts?), and there's also my new Shabby Chic Cottage, the one I won from Tam toum's giveaway. I like that this house is compact and lightweight. Next post I'll show you some work I've been doing on it. Until next time.... xoxo Jennifer

26 comments:

  1. I got rid of my doll house for the reason that it was too big and took up too much space. Then friends and family bought me three storefronts which I have yet to do anything with....plus a cheapo doll house that is still in it's box and has to be built. So I guess I'm back to where I began:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seguro que ha esta nueva casita le sacaras mucho provecho y quien te ha comprado la tuya disfrutara mucho con ella.
    besitos ascension

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maryann! Good to hear from you! This must be the way with many dollhouse miniature enthusiasts! Unless a person has a large, dedicated space to their hobby, these projects can become too big for the house! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tough decisions... but probably the right ones. Space is precious, so why waste it on projects that don't fulfil your plans and dreams exactly... I'm very curious to see your progress on the new one!

    Greetings
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hola Ascension! Great to hear from you! I agree 100%! My only wish is that I could have done a blog giveaway with the nicest dollhouse, like Mona did on her blog, Remme dollhouse! The problem was that my house was REALLY big and heavy! It would have cost hundreds of dollars to mail it! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a good decision, especially when you don't have enough space. It will be nice to follow your work on the new shabby house.
    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Birgit! I'm so glad to hear from you! Yes, the last house was a tough decision, but every time I looked at it, I felt overwhelmed. I had to listen to that feeling and trust that I needed a different project. What I'm liking about the *new* shabby chic cottage is that it is so small that it feels pretty comfortable (even though I have a huge learning curve in putting it back together and decorating it!). ;-) How is Flutterby's new house going?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Drora! Great to hear from you! I guess you could say that there was enough space for the dollhouse, but the room felt crowded! ;-) Thanks for your support regarding the new project. I will show some work on it in the next day or so. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bueno estoy convencida de que el cambio será para mejor y eso tendremos que verlo.
    Mil besitos...Julia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi julia! Thank you for your optimism! :-) Yes, I felt a sense of relief when I only had two projects left to work on and could really move forward on the new shabby chic cottage. How the cottage will turn out remains to be seen! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your Dad's Dollshouse and I can't wait to see what you do with that georgeous little shabby chic cottage!!!
    hugs
    vicky xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Vicky! Great to hear from you! Thanks for becoming a friend of Plushpussycat blog! Dollhouses and plush critters are fun together, aren't they?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a tough decision to get rid of doll houses. I have built and given away doll houses. It takes time to find your dream house is what I always say LOL. I can't wait to see what you do with the cottage :)

    Hugs,
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  14. Me gusta mucho esa nueva casita, es preciosa y cuando la termines seguro que quedara genial. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Victoria! You have more experience in this than me! I see what you mean about it taking time to find your dream house! :-) The cottage I'm working on now is such great practice for me, though. It's cute and small, and I'm doing my best to make it the best it can be, despite my lack of skills! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, thank you for the pep talk, Eloisa! That is just what I needed right now. The tiny cottage is an easier project, so when it's done it will look great--I sure hope so! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bueno unas casas se van... otras permanecen, seguro hiciste lo correcto
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you, Rosamargarita! It is always good to hear from you! Your advice is always so grounded and level-headed! I feel happy, so that's a good sign. I'm making more progress on the tiny cottage too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think you'll love working with the shabby chic cottage house. It's my absolute favorite to work with. It is small enough that you don't feel overwhelmed with a huge never ending project. Can't wait to see it!
    hugs,
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Jennifer, it's funny, how things sort of evolve around dollhouses; first you have this huge inspiration and then you notice that it wasn't what you really wanted. I'm sure you have now the dollhouses left, which you truly enjoy! Thank you for commenting on my Christmas posts!! Hugs from Sanne

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Caroline! I love how you put that: "overwhelmed with a huge never-ending project." I was going to feel that way if I had kept the house with "good bones"! This smaller project is just my size--I can see why they're your favorite! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Sanne! Oh yes, you put that so well. I completely see what you mean. It is so easy to become inspired, only to find that you've bitten off more than you can chew! ;-) This feels much better now. Thank you so much for leaving your lovely comment! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Seguro Jennifer , harás de esta casita ¡Algo preciosos!!! Y lo mejor es lo mucho que disfrutaras haciéndola!!!
    Yo sigo feliz con mis regalos de sorteo ÜÜÜÜÜ Jejeje
    Un besito
    Flor

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hola Flor! I'm so glad you're still liking your prizes! :-) You're right--half the joy will be in making the dollhouse myself! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Jennifer you brave girl, I know it is not easy to give dolls houses away, but now you can concentrate on your Dad's Dollhouse and the Shabby
    Chic Cottage, and by the time you finish them, you might discover what kind of a dollhouse you wont next.
    Enjoy working on them, we won to see picture's :)

    Hugs Mieke xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like the sound of "you brave girl"! I'm not sure anyone has used those words on me before--love it! That's a really good point about sticking with one or two projects, THEN seeing what I want to do next! Great tip, Mieke! OK, I promise to show some pictures of what I am doing! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I LOVE comments! And I read every one of them. :-)