Monday, May 2, 2011

Miniature Finds in Cannon Beach, Oregon

Yesterday the weather in Portland was incredible! It was sunny and beautiful and in the mid-60 degrees F. Hubby and I decided it was a perfect day to drive to the coast. It took a little over an hour and a half to get to Cannon Beach (it would have been shorter, but there was some road construction). And again, the weather was glorious!


This photo of Cannon Beach is from the front cover of the Cannon Beach Visitor Map (www.cannonbeach.org). Can you believe I forgot my camera yesterday?! First, we went down to the beach to walk and collect driftwood for a  miniature driftwood bed project I saw on A Little More Minis. Then the only thing on my mind was finding some miniatures!

First, a little background on Cannon Beach. It is a beach town that is close to Portland, Oregon's largest city, and it is known for being a little bit upscale. Higher-end shopping is a big part of the experience in Cannon Beach. So the prices aren't as low as it can be in other beach towns. But still, when I found the shop I was looking for, I was thrilled!


The shop is called The Butler Did It Antiques. That's where I found some lovely vintage miniatures. I walked around the whole shop, until finally, in a basket on the floor, I found some vintage miniature dollhouse accessories. First, a mini set of baby books:


These came with an adorable mini calendar with some Beatrix Potter images. Here's one of Peter Rabbit:


It is printed with the year "1900" on it. Very cute! I've saved the best for last. I found this in a glass case on the check-out table. It's a miniature ironing board, hand made, and signed by the artist!


The iron is mine, also vintage now, since I've had it since childhood (!). Here, the underside of the ironing board is signed Tohill and 10-80 (made October, 1980, I figure).


I don't know anything about this artist. If anyone does, please comment here to let me know! I spent $15 for all these things plus a mini rolling pin for the kitchen. What fun!

As always, I love to hear from you, my dear readers. And I love to have blog friends! I noticed today that I have 40 friends or followers of my blog. I'm so grateful to you all! I've decided that when that number reaches 50 followers, I will announce a giveaway drawing on this blog. So, let's keep our fingers crossed and hope that this blog can reach 50 followers very soon! :-)

For those who are new to blogs, to become a follower, just look for the picture of the two cute kitties at the top of my blog. Just under the picture, it says "I love new friends!" Click the "follow" button just under that, and follow the instructions. Thanks a bunch! And we'll have a giveaway drawing on Plushpussycat very soon! Until next time.... xoxo Jennifer

22 comments:

  1. Wonderful finds! Cannon Beach is one of my favorite beach towns on the OR coast. Thanks for sharing this fabulous shopping trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soo fun! Thanks for sharing. I love Cannon Beach! Fond memories of running on the huge driftwood logs in my wooden clogs as a young girl! Oh! The Oregon Coast,I must return...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer, You are so lucky girl, you are the owner of an Iron table WHITH HISTORY!!!
    I found this
    IOLA RUTHTOHILL
    SALEM, Ore. - Iola Ruth Tohill, 81, of Salem, Ore., formerly of Mason City, Iowa, died Friday (March 22, 2002) at the Salem Memorial Hospital.
    A graveside service will be held at 9:30 am on Thursday at Oakwood Cemetery, Plymouth, with the Rev. Robert Cumings of the Bethel United Methodist Church of Manly, officiating.
    Visitation will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. on Wednesday at the Bride Colonial Chapel, 110 Spring St. in Manly.
    Iola was born May 8, 1920, in Hopedale, Ill., the daughter of Lynn and Gladys (Grady) DeVore. She married Charles Richard Tohill on Aug. 31, 1935, at Rockville, Ind.
    They farmed in Illinois and Iowa, moving to Oregon in 1960. Upon retirement in 1980, Iola and Richard had a business of handcrafted miniature furniture, Tohill's Miniatures, until Richard's death in 1988.
    She enjoyed time with friends, working on crafts, picnics, working with her computer and watching professional golf.
    Iola was a member of Salem Christian Center and Gresham Chapter #117 Order of Eastern Star.
    She is survived by two daughters, Phyllis Tietjens, of Manly and Wanda Shearer, of Salem, Ore.; a sister, Betty Walsh of Decatur, Ill.; seven grandchildren, 13 great-grandchildren, and three great-great-grandchildren.
    Iola was preceded in death by her parents, her husband, C. Richard; two sisters and two brothers; and a son, Charles Richard Jr.
    Bride Colonial Chapel, (641) 454-2242.


    IN THIS LINK: http://www.globegazette.com/news/local/obituaries/article_f2b1ec8d-a76a-5e9c-b183-d98960f54acb.html
    A hug

    ReplyDelete
  4. New Pioneer and tomgirlstuff--it is fun to hear your fond memories of Cannon Beach. I have no childhood recollections of the place, since I grew up in Salem. Our family spent time in Lincoln City and Newport, since they were closer to Salem. Was Cannon Beach as upscale then as it is today? Does anyone remember? Thanks again for commenting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Rosamargarita! You are so dear for digging up this history on my little ironing board! I am amazed and thrilled! Thank you so much for leaving this information for me! Bless you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gracias.. a ti. (thank You) por compartir esas cosas bellas que compraste y con eso ayudarme a encontrar que existen muchas bellas personas que hacen miniaturas que personas buenas como tu, atesoran (for share those beauthiful things thath other makes an blesing peopple ---like you--- preserved
    A big hug from México! (sorry abou my horrible Englis:()

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rosamargarita--here's a big hug back to you from the USA! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jennifer,

    What a great idea to go to the beach to find some driftwood :) I went to the beach as well last weekend, as you have seen on my blog. I just love the ocean ;)

    Nice miniatures you have found too! I love the peter rabbit calendar...

    Hugs Jollie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! How wonderful to find those vintage minis, they're fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jollie! Yes, you see I was inspired by your driftwood bed project! :-) Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Norma! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! That photo of your mother and her toys on the top of your blog is fabulous! Glad I'm following your blog now! Best! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely little things :)
    and this beach looks amazing!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Agata Ma Piec! Great to hear from you! Yes, the day we were at Cannon Beach it was warm and sunny and beautiful. It was so fun watching the people and their dogs walking along the beach too! Thanks for commenting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jennifer! What beautiful minis you found! I love Beatrix Potter as well. We dont have driftwood here... but my Mom brought back some big pieces the last time she was on the west coast. I love the texture of them.

    And thank-you for leaving a comment on the sand trade... I will be getting to more on that in a few days:)

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Katie! Great to here from you! I look forward to your updates! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What wonderful finds. It was beautiful yesterday, wasn't it? I know Portland's a big city, but I really love finding fellow crafters in my area. Now, I have to go read a bunch more posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Molly! Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tienes un blog de lo más interesante, me gusta mucho, tanto que me hice seguidora.
    Gracias por compartir tus cosas con los demás, espero aprender mucho aquí, así que te visitaré a menudo.
    Yo tengo dos blog, a los que te invito a conocer sin ningun compromiso por tú parte, ya sabes, pinchas mi foto y te lleva volando.
    Hasta pronto besos Nati.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hola Nati! Thank you for becoming a follower of my blog and leaving a comment! I will check out your blogs soon! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Iola and Richard Tohill are my Great-Grandparents. I am so thrilled that you were able to find some miniatures. We each have a beautiful doll house. Richard made the furniture and Iola sewed the items such as carpets, curtains, etc. As far as I know most of the surviving pieces are owned by family members.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Jenni, no es hermoso? Has
    encontrado miniaturas.
    Has encontrado personas que son familia de Iola y de Richard!
    Dios te bendiga Jennifer. Mi amiga

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Bzzymom29!!! What a thrill to hear from you! I tried to send you a direct msg, but your Google profile didn't list any way to contact you. Thank you so much for leaving a comment and providing additional information relevant to the mini ironing board made by your great-grandparents. The fact that they were a local miniaturist couple certainly has inspired me. Maybe someday my husband and I will become a miniaturist team--who knows? As you can see, Rosamargarita did some beautiful online research and discovered what could be found about the Tohills. I think we're both equally excited to hear from you! If you see this comment and can write again, it would be a another big thrill! :-D Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I LOVE comments! And I read every one of them. :-)