Friday, May 6, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

Mother's Day will be celebrated this Sunday, May 8 in the U.S. This day reminds me that I come from a long line of strong women known both for their determination and their creativity, and I am very grateful for that.


This photo was taken in 1966. That's me, sitting on my mother's lap! I keep this photo in my craft room, along with a picture of my paternal grandmother (the one who taught me how to sew), because it reminds me that I come from a long line of creative women. I tell myself that creativity is in my genes! This is a great boost at those times when I'm feeling utterly uncreative.

My great-great grandmother, on the far left, came out west in a covered wagon--literally! Both she and my great-grandmother (the next one over) made beautiful crocheted pieces.

My great-grandmother also tatted and sewed. In fact, when she worked at Sears in the "foundations" department as a young widow, she custom-fitted undergarments for her clients. She also taught my mom to sew on this (now antique) Singer sewing machine:


My Gram, sitting in the red dress, was a "rock hound" and made jewelry from the stones that she found and then polished. She painted paintings in oil too. She is also very creative with plants, with the ability to get anything to bloom. It seems that the plants "want" to bloom for her!

My mom is extremely creative and talented. Back when I was little, she baked and decorated birthday cakes for my brother and me, made Christmas ornaments from bread dough and also from felt, made macrame items (including a very cool belt for me!), tole painted, and sewed clothes from the latest Vogue patterns. Mom, as you may remember, is also the one who encouraged me in starting my miniatures collection as a child.

I am so grateful for these models of creativity in my life. Besides being creative, they were and are loving and good people. These women always encouraged me, telling me I could do or be whatever I wanted. How fortunate I am! I'd love to hear about your own mothers and their influence in your life in the comments. Happy Mother's Day! Until next time.... xoxo Jennifer

8 comments:

  1. Wow, this is a nice story about all of your mothers. The creativity is really in your genes, it is clear.
    I thought it was really fun to read.

    regards Heleni

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely read, how wonderful to have all those women in your family! I love that photo too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Catherine! Yeah, it's a cool photo, huh? I'm glad they took that photo while they could! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh! es genético! ahora comprendo querida Jennnifer! es un enorme placer leerte y ver las fotografías! 5 generaciones de artistas!!! Muchos besos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much, Rosamargarita! You are so sweet! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jennifer :)! Thank you for your interest in my blog :). I have enjoyed popping over and particularly enjoyed this post. Sometime back, I too wrote a little about mum and her Singer machine :). I will be back :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sans! Thanks for popping by and becoming a follower of my blog! I will look for your post about your mom and her Singer machine--thanks for the tip! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I LOVE comments! And I read every one of them. :-)