Monday, July 28, 2014

Meeting Maggie Rudy of MousesHouses!

I've written about Maggie Rudy here before. Perhaps you already know this talented creature maker, author, illustrator, and photographer from her MousesHouses blog or from her first book, The House That Mouse Built. Her latest book is called I Wish I Had a Pet, and I was able to meet her in person for a book reading at Green Bean Books! Here the two of us enjoy a casual moment:

Photo taken by Jennifer Green of Green Bean Books.

We were blog friends, but we had never met in person. I enjoyed a little bit of private time with Maggie (it pays to arrive early!), in which she offered guidance and some oh-so-appreciated praise of my work (which I will treasure forever!). Do I sound a little bit starstruck? Probably because I am. :-) What a kind, gracious, humble, and gifted person. Thank you so much, Maggie!

Maggie Rudy reading from her latest book, I Wish I Had a Pet.

A number of fans, both young and old, came to hear Maggie speak. We were treated to a reading of her new book, a short lecture about her creative process, and a question and answer period, followed by a book signing. I could have stayed there for hours soaking up her humor and wisdom. What a thrill to meet someone whose work I admire so much!

Maggie's creative process: first she sketches out her ideas.

Then she creates her creatures and sets.

The House That Mouse Built is one of my all-time favorite books, and this new book, I Wish I Had a Pet, is destined to become another classic loved by both children and adults everywhere. It is so sweet and a fun way to introduce the responsibilities involved in having a pet to children (adults too, actually!). Maggie even created a diorama for the bookstore with part of one of the scenes from her book:

Maggie Rudy's diorama at Green Bean Books. Come see it!

My diorama had been in the bookstore's main diorama box since April 15, but I gladly made way for Maggie's display. Now you can still view my diorama, but it's in the second diorama box, near the back of the store:

My diorama, a scene from one of my early greeting cards.

Be sure and check out Green Bean Books if you're in the Portland area. It is one of my all-time favorite bookstores, and there are dollhouse miniatures and Re-Ment miniatures for sale, as well as books and toys. Maggie's blog is MousesHouses and is not to be missed! Her books are available from bookstores everywhere, including Green Bean Books. Until next time, keep it fun! xoxo Jennifer

39 comments:

  1. than good, very excited to meet artists we like, congratulations on the occasion that you had.
    you look so happy!
    A big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That mst have been a lovely meeting! Lucky you! Thanks so much for sharing, it is so interesting and wonderful to see her ( and you of course!! :) in person! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love her photos (and yours, of course :) ) What an inspirational meet up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jennifer! You must have been sooo excited to have this wonderful opportunity to meet Maggie Rudy in person! I have enjoyed her Mouse Houses blog and am constantly surprised at what she is able to make and photograph. Her little mice are so much Fun. What a happy Plushpussycat you must be right now! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it must have been a great time you spent with Maggie! I am sure you enjoyed it a lot! Thank you for sharing it with us, Jennifer!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Siempre es bonito conocer personalmente a las amigas blogueras. Me alegro mucho de que disfrutaras y lo pasaras tan estupendamente

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, it's all so cute, I love the little mouse "in real" but the drawings are fabulous!
    And your little display box, a wonder!
    Hugs from France ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Envy much! I would love to spend the day in her studio! Its like another world, just lovely. Both your dioramas are so cute. The children must be well behaved in your town, if I was a small child I would be so tempted to "adopt" the animals, maybe I just can't see the perspex in that photo! :D

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, There is plexiglass in front of the dioramas, so little hands cannot touch. I removed the plexiglass for taking the photos, however. ;-) xo Jennifer

      Delete
  9. Hello Jennifer,
    What a fun meeting of 2 great artists. I am glad you were able to have some private time.
    big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucky you! It must have been a very fun meeting! You are both great artists so I am sure it just clicked between you two! Maggie's new book looks just as awesome as her first. I am going to get myself a copy soon. Thanks for showing some of her drawings. It's so amazing to see how the characters come to life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I'm so jealous! I love her work so much!!! XD

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a joyful meeting. Thank you for sharing. I know Maggie's blog and
    am a great admirer of her work. I have to see if I can order her book by mail.
    A big hug, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh wow this is so interesting! Thanks for posting! I also am a great fan of Maggie's work, so lucky that you got to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How exciting to meet this special lady... it was fascinating to see that the sketches she does to work out her scenes are already art too. And this bookstore must be a wonderful place to visit... I mean... my dear raccoon has showtime there... ;o)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Starstruck! ;) Here is an other one. :D How great you've got change to meet Maggie. I am following her blog too. Her mice are adorable!
    I envy abit of people who are able too see your diorama in the bookstore. If I ever can get to Portland...I already know what I want to do. :) Hugs, piikko

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jennifer wow lucky you. Her work is amazing. I bet it was lots of fun. Both diorama's are fantastic. Thanks for sharing your special day. I also know where I will be heading if I ever get to Portland :))
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Hey There Miss Missy
    I follow her blog too and I think her little Diorama's are wonderful!!!
    I do wish I were in Portland so I could see BOTH of you talented artist :) Im glad you had a wonderful day with Maggie :)

    Hugs to you both
    Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello, I must have been a wonderful meeting with Maggie. She is very good at designing and making sweets mice. The two are beautiful diorama.
    Hugs.Manu

    ReplyDelete
  19. TWO WONDERFUL, TALENTED LADIES!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You look great and very happy in your memory of magic moments! It must have been wonderful getting to chat in person with another mini fan and blog buddy.

    Maggie's sketches are just wonderful and her imagination is superb! You ladies are both fantastic from concept to shot ;)
    Hugs~J

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Jennifer! How wonderful! That must have been a really fun day! It's always great when like-minds get together!
    Lucky book store, having two mega-cute dioramas at the same time!
    Kind regards, Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cuánto me alegro mi querida Jennifer!! siempre es una alegría conocer a alguien a quien se admira tanto! Sus ratoncitos son deliciosos, y tu caja brilla espectacular. Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  23. О, Дженнифер!
    Вы счастливица! Вы встретились с таким замечательным художником! Встреча двух талантливых миниатюристов! Поздравляю!!!
    Две прекрасные диорамы!
    Татьяна

    ReplyDelete
  24. Me alegro mucho.

    Besos, Narán

    ReplyDelete
  25. I absolutely adore Maggie which is how I found your blog! I will be featuring her book on my blog soon! She is soo talented!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What an extraordinary experience! Lucky you! I amire Maggie's work a lot.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  27. You had such a chance to meet her in person, she's so talentuous! I have really enjoyed her diorama and pets. Thanks for this nice post Jennifer ! :)
    Have a beautiful day !
    Agnès

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really enjoyed your profile of Maggie, Jennifer, and also your description of her creative process. Now I want to see your and her dioramas at Green Bean Books! xoxo Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Jennifer,
    It was SO NICE to finally meet you in person and to talk with you about our creature-making-and-photographing work! Thank you for this lovely post...generous words and great photos! I love that we both have dioramas at the fabulous Green Bean Books. I have this fantasy about our critters hanging out together at night when the store is closed!
    Mousily yours, Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, her work is amazing. I love the mouse characters. It must have been a nice meeting of two creative minds.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You were so lucky to meet Maggie, her work is so lovely!
    Hugs, Candy:)

    ReplyDelete
  32. How beautiful the world of mice!! Thank you for introducing us to greatest artist! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love her work! I'm so happy you got to meet her, and just a little jealous! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have to get those books! Her work is amazing, and you got to meet hear, awesome indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. is a great experience to know the friends of the blog, I also do this summer I incotrato known miniaturist friend on FB, great emotion !!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I LOVE comments! And I read every one of them. :-)