Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Attended NW Dollhouse and Miniature Show!

I recently attended the Northwest Dollhouse and Miniature Show right here in Portland, Oregon. I had the most fun EVER! I picked up incredible miniatures and dollhouse miniature kits, ran into friends, met wonderful new people, saw beautiful miniature exhibits, and just had a ton of fun! Here's a preview photo of one mini that I bought at the show, a tiny pair of brass candle holders with tiny candles:


And now on to some highlights of who I met and what I bought. First, I met Debbie Laue of Dragonfly International:


She had beautiful miniatures, laces and trims, and mini-making kits, including Bonnie Lavish miniature flower kits, for sale. I bought several kits (including corset-, flower-, and hat-making kits), some mini lace and trim, and a couple of accessories for my mini sewing room from her. Check out her web site--you won't be disappointed! I'm so excited now--I have several miniature-making projects I can work on this winter--woohoo! Thank you, Deb!

Next, I met Sue Ayers and her sweet husband of Sue's Little Things.


Check out her ebay store for all of the amazing tiny minis (desserts, food boxes, and more) she sells. I bought some of her vintage boxed goods for my Victorian dollhouse (Dad's Dollhouse), but first I got caught in her close-out sale section for at least an hour. It was so much fun, with bargains galore! Later I went back and purchased some vintage Nutshell News magazines from her for 25 cents apiece! That's happy reading for me this winter too! Thank you, Sue!

Next, I met Barbara Colombana of L and B Miniatures. She makes beautiful dressed beds--many people were stopping by to look at them (see picture below). I bought two or three mini Buddhas from her, thinking that I would add them to Sans!' beautiful Buddha gift and put them all on the shelf in my Dad's Dollhouse study. Then I came back later and bought some lovely mini toiletry bottles, a little grab bag with a hot water bottle and a bar of soap for my mini bathroom, and several other items, including a lovely glass vase.


While there, we got to talking, and she gave me a whole box of miniature Buddhas (10-12 of them), since I said I had an interest in Asian art. Can you believe it?! I was in shock! You may remember that I had mentioned to Sans! that I would like a mini Buddha for my dollhouse, and she sent me a gorgeous one. Then I visited Dot's Doll House in Lincoln City and found another sweet Buddha statue. Then this happened at the miniature show--a whole box of tiny Buddhas! I was dumbfounded and so grateful at the same time! Thank you again, Barbara! L and B Miniatures of Santa Barbara, California can be reached at (805) 962-2939.

Those are the highlights. As I said, I bumped into miniaturist friends, including Sheri O'Brien of Oregon Dollhouse and the great folks at Country Store Miniatures. I finally met Dot of Dot's Doll House too. I spent the whole day at the show, and when I got home, my feet were aching from standing so long. Oh! but it was well worth it! I can't wait until next year's show! ;-) In my next post, I'll show you more of the minis I bought in their natural setting--the dollhouse! :-) Until next time.... xoxo Jennifer

48 comments:

  1. How I envy you Jenny!! Sounds like so much fun. Thanks for the post, at least I can imagine what being there was like.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like it was a fantastic show. That is my dream at the moment is to go to one. I dont know of any in Ireland. Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.I cant wait to see what else you bought.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you, Jennifer! I can only sign myself under what the Ladies just said! There are no shows over here either...Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eek! Sounds soooo fun! Thanks for sharing. Hugs Sanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had a great day! I love going to miniature fairs.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Drora! Where is your closest miniatures show? How long would it take to get there? It might be fun to plan a trip around a miniatures show, if it wasn't too expensive. Thanks for your sweet comment! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Maria! Where is your closest show? I'm thinking there must be many in England. It could be so much fun to go to one of them--a little ritual each year! ;-) I can't wait to show what I bought! :-D Thanks for leaving such a lovely comment--you're so supportive and sweet! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Miniature shows are such fun! So many cute little things! It looks like you had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi The Old Maid! Thanks for leaving a comment! No shows in Poland, eh? Where is your closest show then? I'd love to know! :-) It would be fun to meet up, all of us, for a show some time, eh? It's OK to dream, right?! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sanne! It was!!! Thank YOU for your sweet comment! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Genevieve! You even have the SIMP in Paris, right? Are there other local shows near you? I'm thinking that staying in Paris would be the biggest expense! I think I'd rather go to one in a smaller town to save money on accomodations. What about you? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, TM! You are so right, on all counts! Fun, fun, fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gracias por mostrarnos fotos de la feria y contarnos tu experiencia y tus compras.

    Besos, Narán

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful, fun day you have had!!! Thanks for the links, I have already looked into the Dragonfly International - actually I think I spent half an hour at my pc there :)
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are very welcome, Naran! Thank you for leaving such a sweet comment! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Mona! You are very welcome! I just love what these vendors have to offer! I'm glad you do too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gracias por tus fotografias y me alegro muchisimo de que hayas disfrutado de la feria.
    besitos ascension

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you, Ascension! That is very kind of you to say! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. A wonderful experience for you. Thanks for sharing these photos with us and for your interesting links. "Baci"

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Mari@! It is great to hear from you! You are very welcome! Thanks for taking the time to leave a sweet comment! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks like fun. I would get stuck at those cakes and buy up a storm. Thanks for the terrific links!
    hugs,
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh yes, Caroline! The mini cakes were amazing! Sue's Little Things makes amazing mini desserts! Yumm! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wunderful day it must be, being on such a great mini show.
    You seeme to live in very nice part of America, with nice shows and not to forget the rocking horse in the attick.
    Thank you so much for all the lovely links.
    Have a great week !!

    Hugs Mieke xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. No chance to deny it - you're a buddha magnet... (LOL). What a wonderful day you've had - so much interesting things to see and nice people to meet!

    Greetings
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awww, Mieke! What a nice thing to say! You are very welcome for the links! I have an ulterior motive--I want these vendors to stay in business a long time, so I can buy more from them! ;-) Thank you for your thoughtful comment! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Birgit! Yeah, a "Buddha magnet"! tee hee! I was thinking of the saying, "When it rains, it pours." Yes, it really was a wonderful day! Thank you for your lovely comment. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh! Que suerte una feria en Portland, los candelabros son preciosos, y me alegro que hayas hecho muchas compras.
    Muchos besos

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you, Rosamargarita! Those brass candle holders are tiny and delicate, and I only paid $2 for them, including the candles! Someone was clearing out their stash of minis, and I was the lucky buyer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. It must have been lovely to know so many fabulous artists. Congratulations on your purchase, everything is very beautiful!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sounds like a so much fun Jennifer. I have to go too someday, never visited one.
    Ina :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Eliana! Thank you so much! Yes, those mini makers are very talented! It is great to hear from you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Ina! So good to hear from you! Yes, I think you would enjoy attending one very much! ;-) Thank you for your sweet comment! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Muchas gracias por enseñarnos las fotos de la feria,se nota lo bien que lo habeís pasado!!!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Pilar6373! So great to hear from you! You are very welcome for the photos! I really did pass a wonderful day at the show! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Cuantas cosas bonitas has visto, gracias por los enlaces , espero ver el resto de tus compras.
    Se ve que disfrutaste mucho en la feria, en Madrid la tenemos este fin de semana, deseo pasarlo igual de bien que tú. Besos
    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you, Rosa! You are very kind! I am so glad you enjoyed the show in Madrid as well! :-) I will show you my other purchases tomorrow. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Muchas gracias por seguir mi blog. Me alegro de que te guste. Yo no te conocía, pero ahora ya soy seguidora tuya y podré ver tus trabajos.
    Un saludo.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love miniatures! Wish I were there to gawk and gape! I so admire people with the talent and skills to create miniaturized versions of real things.

    Your blog is lovely, Jenny. And wouldn't you know it? We have the same first name. :-)

    Hugs,
    Kittymama

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hola Mary! You are very welcome--it is my pleasure! Thank you for becoming a friend of my blog. I look forward to connecting again! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Kittymama! It is so nice of you to visit here! Thank you for your lovely compliment. Oh, so we have something more in common too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Ooh Jen this mini dollhouse show would've been right up your alley!!
    I love the sound of the mini lacy trims!!
    Love your latest blog, I've just done a blog update and am back into regular updates again!!
    Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh!! So lovely things, they all are wonderful. My dolls house grows so slowly..., but with your inspiration I'll work better.
    Thank you so much for your visit.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi Kate! It is so good to hear from you! I am so glad that you are making regular posts on your lovely blog again--I missed them. :-( Thank you so much for your lovely comment! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi Cristinamlh! It is great to see you here! Thank you for becoming a friend of Plushpussycat! You are an inspiration too, with your lovely blog. I look forward to seeing more there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Ciao Genny

    Fantastic Blog...complimenti !

    Rosarita

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thank you Rosarita!!! Your teddy bear blogs are lovely too! Thank you for becoming a friend of Plushpussycat and for leaving a sweet comment! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thank you very much for your comment, I really like your models. A hug

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hi MINI ANNA! Thank you for stopping by and saying hello! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I LOVE comments! And I read every one of them. :-)